Terry County Historic Markers

Interested in a little history? Take a look at these historical markers in Terry County and find a journey all its own.

Historic Markers


Brownfield Historic Sites
Terry County Historic Sites
Other Markers
City of Brownfield

Marker

Marker Title: City of Brownfield
Marker Number: 881
Address: US 380, at Courthouse
City: Brownfield
Year Marker Erected: 1971


Gomez

Marker

Marker Title: Gomez
Marker Number: 2211
Address: 4.4 mi. W on US 380
City: Brownfield
Year Marker Erected: 1974


Nolan Expedition

Marker

Marker Title: Route of Nolan Expedition
Marker Number: 4370
Address: 2.5 mi. SW on US 62/82
City: Meadow
Year Marker Erected: 1972


Brownfield Cemetery

Marker

Marker Title: Route of Nolan Expedition
Marker Number: 4370
Address: 2.5 mi. SW on US 62/82
City: Meadow
Year Marker Erected: 1972

Gomez Cemetery

Marker

Marker Title: Gomez Cemetery
Marker Number: 2213
Address: 5.6 mi. W on US 380
City: Brownfield
Year Marker Erected: 1970


Brownfield Municipal Power Plant

Marker

In 1921, voters overwhelmingly
approved new bonds for a municipal power plant. By 1923, Brownfield has electricity. The building is located on the corner of West Hill and 7th Street in downtown Brownfield, Texas.


Terry County Jail

Jail

Marker Title: Terry County's First Jail
Marker Number: 5234
Address: 608 E. Cardwell
City: Brownfield
Year Marker Erected: 1975

Mail Relay Station

Marker Number: 3188
Address: 14.5 mi. SE on SH 137
City: Brownfield
Year Marker Erected: 1973

Marker Text: W. J. French (1859-1930) settled here in 1903, and built two-story house. Site became regular water stop for freighters and drovers. In 1905, French obtained the mail contract between Lamesa and Gomez, via Brownfield. Five-passenger "hacks" started each day from Lamesa and Gomez, and met at this half-way point at noon to exchange mail and passengers and change horses. After riders were served a hot meal, cooked by Mrs. French, "hacks" returned to starting points, completing a 40-mile round trip. Service was discontinued in 1910, when mail was rerouted.


Veteran's War Memorial

Memorial

Located in downtown Brownfield on
the Courthouse square. Stands as tribute
to the men and women who served in
conflicts from Terry County.


Brownfield Chamber and Visitor Center | 211 Lubbock Rd, Brownfield, TX 79316 | Phone: (806) 637-2564, Fax: (806) 637-2565
Close